People living in Bryan know that insects and rodents are common here. While most species are important for the local ecosystem, pests can be a menace to property owners. If you are wondering whether you can take steps to counter pests, the answer is yes. Also, Bryan pest control services can help with current infestations. We have enlisted a few ideas on evading insects and bugs on your property.
- Check your home for signs: The sooner you find pests, the faster you can seek assistance from professionals. Telltale signs of infestations include droppings, damage to property, urine spots, nests, and nighttime activities like unusual sounds. If you see a rat in plain sight, the situation is probably worse already.
- Clean the yard: First and foremost, you have to get your garden and yard landscaped. Ensure that branches don’t hang over the property exteriors, as these could be bridges for insects, such as spiders and ants, to get in. You should also prune the vegetation when possible.
- Focus on hygiene inside the house: Check your basement, attic, firewood storage spaces, and other areas that are not used that often. It is best to call professional cleaners every few months. Also, clean the cabinets in the kitchen and ensure you don’t have open food packets around.
- Keep your garbage safe: Pests are constantly rummaging around for food sources, and your garbage is an instant invitation. Always choose trashcans with lids and keep the waste packed. You should also consider metal bins, which are typically pest-safe.
- Get periodic inspections: Just because you haven’t found pests in the open doesn’t mean you don’t need help. Ask a local pest control service to inspect your home and find possible issues that need attention. They can also suggest preventive measures and an annual plan to keep rodents and insects in check.
- Seal your home: Check whether there are cracks and crevices that need attention. Also, seal your doors and windows properly before the fall. If you haven’t hired experts to clean your drainage system in a year, you may want to consider that.
- Use natural products: While DIY hacks may not eliminate pests altogether, natural and botanical products can keep pests at bay. Ensure you find a few bottles of peppermint and eucalyptus oils, which can be used in diffusers and on furnishings.
You can also talk to pest experts for traps and bait stations for mosquitos and insects that are most active at night.