Get ready to impress yourself or guest with this hearty, healthy feast. It needs nothing more than a few blanched green beans from the garden to round out the meal. I am always amazed at what a great meat substitute portabellas can be, but without the fat and calories! Serve these with a steak knife.
4 portabella mushrooms(5″), de-stemmed and brushed clean
1 Tb. olive oil
½ C. diced onion
1 clove garlic
¼ C. fresh basil, chopped
¼ tsp. each salt and pepper
1 large heirloom tomato, sliced in 1/4” rounds
mozzarella, grated or sliced (fresh or firm)
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Spray oil the mushrooms or lightly rub them with olive oil. Place them gill side up on a rimmed cookie sheet that has 1/8” of water on the bottom.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until softened. Mix the sautéed onions with the prepared tofu ricotta, basil, salt and pepper.
- Divide equally to fill the mushrooms. Place sliced tomato on the top of the filling.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the mushrooms seem tender and slightly shriveled.
- Top with grated or sliced mozzarella. Bake 5 minutes more or briefly broil to melt the cheese.