You can make a mock ricotta out of tofu with great results for a protein-packed meal. Use this in lasagna, pasta, stuffed portabellas, or other favorite dishes. However, this is a savory recipe that does not work well with sweet ricotta dishes.
Makes: the equivalent of a 15 oz ricotta container
1 #/16 oz. firm or extra firm tofu (not silken)
½ tsp. salt
1 med. clove garlic, pressed
1 Tb. lemon juice
- Drain the tofu and wrap it in a clean dishtowel to lightly press excess water out. Cut the block in half.
- Place ½ the tofu in a bowl with the remaining ingredients. Puree with a handheld blender until smooth.
- Crumble in the remaining ½ block of tofu with your hand. Mix together.
- I like to buy SOGA brand organic extra firm tofu in a twin pack from Trader Joe’s for this recipe. It is already cut in half for you and it is almost a full pound, whereas others are only 14 ounces.
- You can use a regular blender for this recipe, but it is easier with a handheld blender because you don’t have to transfer it out to a bowl to add the crumbled half.