Happy Cinco De Mayo! This is a very grown-up ice cream with a nice strong amaretto kick topped with toasted almonds…heaven! Because it is a rich ice cream with the added egg yolks, half a cup really feels like a completely satisfying treat.
Note that there are some long cooling times, so if you are making this for a party,start early or make it the day before.
1 C. organic whole milk
2/3 C. organic sugar
3 egg yolks
3 C. 1/2 and 1/2 (or 2 C. 1/2& 1/2 and 1 C. heavy cream)
1/2 tsp. almond extract
3-4 Tb. amaretto or other almond liqueur
1/2 C. sliced or chopped almonds
- Heat the 1 C. milk in a pot over medium heat, whisking frequently, until just before a simmer. Remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar. Whisk 1/2 cup of the hot milk into the egg yolks. Add a little more hot milk. Then add the yolks back to the pot of milk,.
- Return to medium heat and bring to a low simmer for a few minutes, stirring constantly, until the mixture is slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- Add the the remaining ingredients. Pour into the churning bucket or other container and place in the refrigerator for about 2 hours or more until the mixture is very cold.
- Churn in your ice cream maker according to the instructions.
- Toast the almond for 3-5 minutes at 350 degrees or until lightly toasted. Cool completely.
- When done, place in a chilled tuperware. Either fold in the almonds, sprinkle on top, or keep them separate and garnish each individual serving.
- The ice cream will get firmer as it sits in the freezer.
- Don’t get too booze happy with the almond liqueur or your ice cream will not firm up! I used 1/4 C. and it made a very smooth and soft ice cream that was perfect for my taste.