There are a lot of things you can use to clean your toilet ranging from store-bought blue goo in a fancy curve neck bottle to just shaking some straight baking soda. I really like this recipe for homemade toilet bowl cleaner from a great homesteading book: Do It Gorgeously. It smells amazing, deodorizes the toilet, and does a great job cleaning. (Though you still need to scrub. There is no way around that!)
1 recycled toilet bowl cleaner container or 1 squeeze bottle (recycled dish soap bottle) or 1 food dispenser bottle (looks like restaurant ketchup bottle)
½ cup warm distilled water
½ cup baking soda
¼ cup castile soap
2 Tb white vinegar
¼ – ½ teaspoon tea tree essential oil
¼ – ½ teaspoon lavender essential oil
- Mix baking soda into warm water and stir to dissolve.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir
- Pour into a squeeze bottle or recycled toilet bowl cleaner bottle
- Gently shake before using.
- Don’t fill the container all the way full so you have room to shake. The baking soda tends to settles at the bottom.
- If you don’t have any of this homemade toilet cleaner on hand, you can put 1/2 cup each of baking soda and distilled vinegar in the toilet bow, let is sit for 5-10 minutes, and scrub.