If you use Comet or Bon Ami for cleaning around the house, you will be delighted to find that you can make your own. Scrubbing powders are great for cleaning skins, tubs, toilets, and showers. Any spot that has soap scum or other dirt build-up needs a little abrasive scrubbing action and homemade cleaning powder is the one for the job. Adding part tea tree oil as in the recipe below or using all tea tree oil can give it a disinfecting and antibacterial property.
The magic about this recipe is that it doubles as the most amazing bathroom air freshener if you keep it under your bathroom skin or by the toilet. Use the tips for how to make your owns shake top for easily sprinkling the powder when cleaning.
1 quart mason jar (wide mouth)
A sprouting lid or a lid ring a piece of thin cardboard (like a kleenex box) (which will serve as a shaker for the top of the jar)
Makes: 3 cups
1 cup baking soda
1 cup borax
1 cup salt (fine grind or blended to a powder)
20 drops lavender essential oil (or scent of your choice)
10 drops tea tree oil (or scent of your choice)
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl
- Stir to combine and evenly disperse the essential oil
- Store in a jar or container with a shaker. (see tips)
- Pre-mositen the area for cleaning then shake the power cleaner to cover the area. Work in with a sponge or rag and rinse.
- To make a homemade shaker similar to the Bon Ami or Comet shakers, you can several different things. Try a powdered sugar sifter container. These are kitchen products usually made out of stainless steal that have a fine mesh top for sprinkling powdered sugar. An other option is to use a mason jar. Cut out a think piece of cardboard (like a recycled kleenex box) to just cover the top of the jar. Poke a bunch of small holes in the top. Fasten it with a canning ring or band. Finally, a great option is to just use a fine sprouting lid make out of either plastic or metal. You can usually find them in health food stores or online.